An MCL injury can be sustained during an impact to the outside of the knee, or when an athlete makes a fast turn or inadvertently twists the knee in a certain way. MCL injury symptoms are similar to many other knee injuries. You might experience pain, swelling, and limited range of motion.
Your doctor will diagnose an MCL injury with the help of an MRI scan or x-ray. A minor MCL injury is typically treated with ice therapy, rest, temporary immobilization of the knee, and reduced activity for several weeks. However, some MCL injuries require surgery, especially if you have injured other parts of the knee.
How to Recover from MCL Surgery FasterIf you and your doctor determine that surgery is the best course of action, there are some important steps you can take to help your recovery go faster:
- Rest - Although you may want to quickly return to activity, your body needs time to heal. The more rest you can get, the more quickly your body will recover.
- Medication - Your doctor may prescribe pain medication or an anti-inflammatory drug to help control swelling. Use these medications as directed and talk to your doctor if you are in a lot of pain.
- Ice and compression - One way to help manage pain and swelling without medications is with active cold compression therapy. Cold therapy has a numbing effect to help reduce pain, and it also reduces inflammation by constricting blood vessels and slowing down cellular metabolism. Simultaneous active compression removes excess fluid and brings fresh, nutrient-rich blood to your damaged tissue to help promote faster healing.
- Joint support - Your doctor may recommend wearing a brace and keeping weight off the leg for a period of time after surgery. Use the brace as directed and use crutches for the entire period of time that they are recommended.
- Physical therapy - At a certain point during your recovery, your doctor will recommend physical therapy to help strengthen and stretch the muscles surrounding the knee and improve range of motion.
If you need to recover from MCL surgery, ask your doctor or physical therapist about Game Ready. Our patented compression wraps ensure that therapeutic cold reaches the entire area surrounding the knee and penetrates deeper than ice alone. Contact us today to learn more about getting Game Ready for your MCL surgery recovery.
What steps do you plan to take to recover from MCL surgery faster?