Whether you get hurt playing sports or take a tumble while walking the dog, a knee injury can be quite serious. Damaging one of the ligaments in the knee joint can not only be quite painful, it can also lead to reduced mobility and long-term instability in the knee.
Fortunately, an MCL or ACL injury can often be repaired with knee surgery. After surgery, with the right care and physical therapy, most people are able to return to full normal function in the joint. Always consult with a doctor if you believe you have an injury to the ACL or MCL. The faster you begin treatment, the faster you will be able to recover.
So how do you know if you need ACL or MCL surgery? Look for these seven signs.
7 Signs of ACL or MCL Injury
- Noise - At the time of the injury, you might have felt or heard a popping noise. However, even if you did not, this does not necessarily mean that you do not need surgery.
- Pain - Depending on the type of injury, you might feel pain on the inside, outside, or back of the knee.
- Swelling - Your body's natural response to injury is inflammation, which results in swelling.
- Bruising - If the injury was caused by some trauma, such as a blow to the knee, you might notice bruising in the area. Even knee injuries that were not caused by an impact might also show bruising if there is bleeding in the underlying tissues.
- Edema - Another side effect of the inflammatory response is the build-up of excess fluid, or edema, in the area surrounding the injury.
- Range of motion - You might experience a limited range of motion, either as a result of swelling or because of the injury itself.
- Instability - If your knee buckles or cannot fully support your weight, it may be a sign of instability caused by an injury to one of the ligaments in the joint.
An untreated ACL or MCL injury can lead to further problems such as chronic knee pain and osteoarthritis. If you are concerned that you may have a knee injury, seek medical attention right away.
If you do need ACL or MCL surgery, talk to your doctor about using Game Ready during your recovery. Our patented active cold and compression system helps reduce pain and swelling after knee surgery so you can return to activity more quickly. Locate a provider near you to learn more.
Do you have any symptoms that might indicate the need for ACL or MCL surgery?