The muscles and joints in your lower extremities are important for daily living, but many people take this for granted until they experience pain or swelling. A swollen knee is not only uncomfortable, it can also prevent you from going up and down stairs and limit your desire or ability to walk. This can be very disruptive to daily life and should be addressed as soon as possible to help prevent further damage and allow you to quickly get back to normal. Knee swelling can be caused by a range of factors including:
- Diseases like arthritis
- Athletic injuries like sprains and strains
- ACL or MCL surgery
- Falling or receiving a blow to the knee
Regardless of the reason for your swelling, you want to get rid of it as soon as possible because it can limit range of motion and contribute to additional pain.
How to Use Cold Water Therapy for Knee Swelling
- Control the temperature - The best way to delivery cold water therapy is to ensure that the temperature remains constant for the duration of the session. Ice water baths or cold packs will warm up because they draw heat from your body to reduce the temperature of your tissues. Although this is the desired effect, the rising temperature of the cold delivery mechanism reduces the impact of the therapeutic cold over time. The solution is a cold water therapy machine that circulates water through an ice reservoir to continually maintain the desired temperature.
- Get thorough coverage - The body is full of contours and angles that can make it difficult to achieve full coverage with ice packs. Using cold wraps to enclose the entire area ensures that the therapy will be more effective because the cold can penetrate deeper and the affected tissues will receive therapeutic cold from multiple directions.
- Add compression - Active compression enhances the therapeutic effects of cold therapy by removing edema, improving lymphatic drainage, and increasing the flow of oxygen to damaged tissues. Active compression also contributes to better coverage and deeper cold penetration.
Game Ready offers cold water therapy machines that combine the benefits of adjustable wraps, temperature control, and active compression to help you recover faster. Whether you are an athlete that needs regular sessions to improve workout recovery or an individual who plans to have knee surgery, Game Ready can help you get back on your feet faster. Find a provider near you to get started today.
How do you currently receive cold water therapy?