Insider Tips to Workout RecoveryAnybody can use the same tips and tricks that Olympians use to speed up workout recovery:
- Rest - As tempting as it might be to push harder and harder, rest is an important part of building strength and endurance. The best athletes build periods of rest into their workout schedule to ensure that their bodies have time to repair damaged tissue and recover from fatigue.
- Nutrition - What you put in your body will inform what you can get our of your body. Maintaining a regular, nutritious diet will contribute to faster recovery from workouts. Refueling within 30 minutes after a workout will also help you replenish muscle glycogen more quickly.
- Sleep - This is different from rest. While you are sleeping, your body is actively repairing itself. Be sure to get plenty of sleep each night to ensure the speediest recovery.
- Hydrate - Stay hydrated during workouts to ensure faster recovery later. For more intense workouts, add an electrolyte to water so your body will retain more fluid. Be sure to drink plenty of water after a workout, too.
- Massage - Increase blood flow and bring more vital nutrients to recovering tissues and flush away toxins with massage.
- Cryotherapy - Cold temperatures help reduce inflammation and pain, allowing muscles and other tissues to repair themselves more quickly.
Although icing muscles and joints can be effective, there are drawbacks to this method. The heat from your body quickly warms up the ice, so the cooling effect does not last long unless it is regularly replenished. On the other hand, ice can be too cold to apply directly to the surface of the skin, so controlling the temperature is challenging without specialized equipment.
A cold compression wrap that regulates temperature and pressure is an excellent way to get the benefits of cryotherapy without the risk of tissue damage. Using Game Ready to support workout recovery can help athletes improve more quickly and perform at the highest level more consistently. If you would like to learn more about getting a Game Ready system, contact us today.
How much better do you perform when you focus on workout recovery?