Back injuries are one of the most common causes of pain among patients. In fact, lower back pain is the number one cause of disability and the second most cited reason for a doctor visit. As a practitioner, you have most likely treated back injuries caused in a number of ways, including athletes who pushed just a little too far and non-athletes who pulled a back muscle doing a normal everyday activity.Read More >
Given that it is one of the most pervasive medical complaints in the country, chances are you have experienced back pain at some point in your life. If not, you might be one of the estimated 20% of people who are lucky enough to avoid this common condition. The remaining 80% can tell you that the acute pain that comes with back strain can be debilitating, even if it lasts for only a few days.
A pulled back muscle can happen to anybody, but whether you are a hobby gardener or a professional athlete, you need to recover as fast as possible so you can get back in the game.
Back strain, sometimes also called a pulled back muscle, is both painful and inconvenient. It can be caused by a number of factors, including a fall, improper lifting, twisting unexpectedly, or repeatedly bending over. If left untreated, it can lead to inability to perform certain movements, which can impact your daily life. Fortunately, in most cases, back strain is fully treatable.
A pulled back muscle is a common injury for both athletes and people who do not play sports. You can pull a back muscle by lifting a heavy item, throwing an object while twisting, or falling unexpectedly. Regardless of the cause, a pulled back muscle is painful and you want to treat it as quickly and effectively as possible.
Think about all of the people you know who have complained about back pain at some point. Chances are, you are included in that group. Back injury is a major problem in the United States, and an expensive one. If you are one of the millions of Americans who suffer from a back injury, read on to learn more about this common condition and what you can do about it.
Back strain is a common injury among adults. It often happens from incorrectly lifting a heavy object, twisting suddenly during athletic activity, or keeping your neck or back in one position for too long. There are several approaches to back strain treatment ranging from heat or cold therapy, to pain medication, and to surgery in extreme cases.
Treating back pain quickly and effectively is essential for healing rapidly and maintaining good quality of life. Using active cold and compression therapy is one of the best ways to relieve pain and reduce or eliminate the need for medications.
Active Compression Therapy for Back Pain ReliefCompression is a proven method for reducing swelling and preventing edema. Active compression takes this a step further to provide several other benefits:
- Removes edema - The buildup of fluids, or edema, can contribute to pain and swelling. By mimicking the body's natural muscle contractions, active compression pumps edema out of the affected area to help speed up the healing process.
- Improves lymphatic drainage - Poor lymphatic drainage can actually contribute to back pain. Active compression helps improve the flow of lymph fluid, which brings essential nutrients to the body's tissues and removes cellular waste products.
- Improves oxygen delivery and blood flow - Active compression also helps improve blood flow in the injured area, which allows more oxygen to reach damaged tissues.
- Stimulates tissue repair - As more oxygen and essential nutrients reach the damaged tissue in the injured area, it is able to repair itself and heal more quickly.
These benefits do not come with the static compression provided by a bandage or wrap; only active compression can create the pumping effect required to remove edema, improve drainage, and stimulate blood flow.
Active compression is created by pneumatic pressure that flows through a specialized compression wrap that conforms to the body. Adding active cold therapy can further enhance the benefits of compression therapy by reducing pain and inflammation. Air and cold water flow through different chambers in the wrap to provide consistent temperature and pressure for the duration of the therapy session.
Game Ready's active cold compression therapy system uses patented technology to provide consistent pressure and temperature on the entire injured area. Adjustable back wraps fit waist sizes from 22 to 55 inches, so doctors and trainers can use one system for all patients and athletes. Contact Game Ready today to learn more about getting your own active cold and compression therapy system.
How do you currently treat back pain? Do you find the results satisfactory?